- ¼ cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 14-ounce package firm or extra-firm water-packed tofu
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup marinara sauce plus
- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1. Combine breadcrumbs, garlic powder, salt, and Italian seasoning in a shallow dish. Cut tofu lengthwise and pat dry. Sprinkle both sides of the tofu with the seasoned dry mix.
2. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown. Add mushrooms and cook until they begin to brown. Transfer to a bowl.
3. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan. Add the tofu steaks and cook until browned on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn over and sprinkle with Parmesan. Spoon the mushroom mixture over the tofu, pour marinara over the mushrooms. Cover and cook until the sauce is hot. Put the mozzarella on the tofu and cook until the cheese is melted. Sprinkle with basil and serve.
You can substitute the tofu with eggplant.